1. Download and Install the PuTTY software
2. Configure PuTTY to connect to the COM Port
- Figure out the COM port number (if using a virtual serial port, look in Device Manager to find the port # assigned).
- Run PuTTY.
- Switch the Connection Type to Serial.
- Edit the Serial Line to match the COM port you want to use.
- Edit the Speed to match the BAUD Rate you want to use. (Typically 9600)
- Select the Serial category from the menu on the left.
- Make sure all of the settings are correct.
- Select the Open button to start the session.
Scan a barcode, the barcode should be displayed in the PuTTY terminal.
If using a USB connected device OR a “Serial to USB” converter.
1) If using a converter: verify that the converter’s drivers are installed.
2) Verify that the device’s USB to COM driver is installed.